Latest posts by @HolisticKingdom (see all)
- How Aromatherapy Works With Essential Oil Diffusers To Relieve Negative Emotions - November 5, 2018
- Sleep Trackers Help You To Harness That Immeasurable Power Of A Better Night’s Sleep - October 22, 2018
- Weighted Blankets For Stress, Anxiety And Insomnia – What Are They And How Do They Work? - October 16, 2018
What Are Weighted Blankets And How Do They Work?
As the name implies a weighted blanket has an inner pocket that has been made heavier with sand-like beads to evenly distribute the weight throughout.
This creates a cradling and warming effect likened to a giant hug and therefore used as a calming tool for stress, anxiety and insomnia.
The weighted blanket technique is 100% natural and non-invasive and has proven scientific evidence of effectiveness. (source)
Weighted blankets work by harnessing the power of Deep Pressure Touch Stimulation (DPTS) to help you feel comforted and calm.
The DPTS from a weighted blanket creates benefits similar to massage therapy in that it helps reduce stiffness in muscles and joints and soothes pain in the body.
The weight of the blanket activates proprioceptive input to the brain which helps to release melatonin and serotonin. These are naturally occurring and very calming chemicals to the body.
By naturally increasing your melatonin and serotonin levels while also reducing cortisol stress hormones you can be more attentive and productive throughout your day.
Weighted blankets help to put a busy mind at ease and boost your mood, allowing for restful relaxation and thus…more energy.
An Unfortunate Fact: More than ever before people of all ages are suffering from anxiety and stress overload.
Overstimulation of our brains from always on digital and social media are major contributors to this huge and alarming trend throughout society.
When too many thoughts and fears seem to take over, the deep pressure touch stimulation of a weighted blanket induces feelings of stability and eases body tension caused by the enormous amount of stress factors we face everyday.
Weighted blankets encourage your body and mind to rest fully and relax naturally without drugs or pharmaceuticals.
Weighted blankets also create a sensation known as ‘grounding’. Grounding reduces the production of cortisol and triggers the release of good-mood hormones that calm the nervous system and make us feel more relaxed.
When you need to feel more secure and at peace in this modern hectic world, a weighted blanket is an effective way to naturally create a warm feeling of safety and serenity.
How To Use A Weighted Blanket
Weighted blankets can be used at night to aid in better sleep or anytime you desire to relax during the day. A weighted blanket should be customized to the individual user.
Adults will typically reach optimal comfort under a blanket that weighs about 10% of their own body weight. For example a 150 lbs. person should have a blanket weighing approximately 15 lbs.
Although the typical benchmark is 10% of total body weight it is not a completely rigid standard so it can vary depending on personal preference.
Most models are available in sizes that match common mattress dimensions such as King, Queen and Twin.
The cover of a weighted blanket is similar to a standard blanket in that it is made from natural fibers, synthetic fabrics, or fabric blends that incorporate both.
Weighted blankets made from natural fibers like cotton are more breathable so they tend to be a little cooler. Synthetics like polyester that are less breathable can be much warmer.
So fabric choice also depends on your personal preference. The outer shell of most weighted blankets are machine washable, but dry cleaning may be recommended as well.
Weighted Blanket Precautions:
When used properly weighted blankets are extremely safe, harmless and have no known side effects. However, always follow the manufacturers’ guidelines and be aware of the following precautions:
- Weighted blankets are not recommended for children under the age of 8.
- Only provide a weighted blanket to children over the age of 8 who are not bothered by the weight.
- Women going through menopause and experience hot flashes or other issues that cause problems with temperature regulation should use caution when using a weighted blanket.
- People who have issues with respiration and/or circulation should consult a healthcare provider before using a weighted blanket.
- A weighted blanket may cause issues for someone with claustrophobia or other fears associated with being trapped or stuck.
- Weighted blankets should never be too heavy to be removed by yourself.
- Always check with a licensed therapist or healthcare professional if you are unsure about whether it is safe for you to use a weighted blanket.
Holistic Kingdom’s Recommendation – The Mosaic Weighted Blanket
- American Made
- High Quality
- Commercial Grade
- 100% Non-Toxic
- Outstanding Reviews
- Individually Crafted
- Competitively Priced