What Is Physical Well-Being?
Physical well-being is associated more closely with overall wellness and not just the outward fitness of the body.
Aspects such as mental health, emotional wellness and organ function factor in equally to one’s physical fitness.
A person can, in theory, be physically strong or be able to perform at a high physical level yet still not be physically well overall.
Examples that come to mind are bodybuilders using synthetic growth supplements that hurt the liver and reproductive organs.
Another example is endurance training that for various reasons requires over training.
Over training can lead to injury and other serious health complications.
Physical wellness is a more well-rounded representation of overall health than physical fitness.
Aspects Of Physical Well-Being
Physical wellness has to do with range of motion, flexibility, strength, endurance, nutrition, rest, energy levels, detoxification and heart/cardiovascular health.
Other factors such as blood pressure, blood sugar, metabolism, gut health, disease prevention, heart health, weight control, stress management and sleep are also important.
True optimal physical well-being resides in the balance and synergy of physical fitness activities including physical, mental and spiritual.
Considering activities not simply for physical benefit but to include much broader aspects of overall well-being is most effective.
Physical Fitness Activities
Recommended exercise techniques for the broadest range of physical benefits:
- Power Yoga – A hot power yoga class with a great instructor will improve not only flexibility but also strength, endurance, cardiovascular health through deep breathing, and bonus you get meditative and spiritual benefits as well!
- Balance Ball Core Workouts – Can typically be found at most gyms and routines can be found online for home workouts. Having a strong and flexible core could be the most important aspect of physical fitness.
- Bouncing On A Mini Trampoline – Another great little workout you can do at home with routines found online. Rebounding as it is sometimes called promotes lymphatic drainage along with endurance and cardio training.
- Hiking – An activity with many synergistic benefits like yoga. Throw in some push-ups and ab crunching while on the trail and you’ve got a total body workout plus connecting with nature, adventuring, and forest bathing!
Physical Fitness Goal: Balance
It is important to understand how to find a healthy balance with your exercise routines and know when what you are doing is enough.
Pushing too hard or going too far can have the opposite effect of what you are hoping for.
It is proven that too much physical activity can be harmful and actually dangerous.
These are some of the darker aspects of physical training in the modern era.
So what is good enough in physical fitness? You certainly don’t have to look like a greek god or supermodel to be healthy and fit.
It is important not to train solely to look better because this can lead to disappointment, self-esteem issues and ultimately ceasing to workout.
Ideally you want to train to be healthy and feel better.
You will then be happy with the results and this will help you become the best version of yourself both outside and in.
Physical Fitness Training Pitfalls To Avoid
The pitfalls associated with an imbalance in physical training can have many adverse effects mentally, emotionally and even spiritually.
There are more benefits that can be achieved through a well-balanced exercise program.
Remember also that rest and recovery are considered just as important as the actual physical activity that you choose.
Some things that can be unhealthy that are associated with physical fitness are:
- Overtraining/Undertraining – Can cause a multitude of possible injuries and/or long term physical damage.
- Body Comparing – Lowered self esteem and feeling not good enough either by how your body looks or how well you perform a physical activity in comparison to others.
- Burnout/Lack Of Motivation – If physical training and exercise sounds like too much of a chore to accomplish then you might want to consider changing up your routine to avoid burnout. Get involved with a fitness group for help with motivation and accountability.
While physical exercise is of prominent importance it can weigh in more heavily than necessary in our modern culture.
Mental, emotional and spiritual health should be given the same importance as physical fitness.
In the right amounts physical activity will actually help stimulate these other important areas but if over done then all aspects of wellness will be compromised.
In fact an argument can be made that exercising the mind and the spirit in various ways has many physical benefits and can also enhance physical performance.
Measure Your Physical Wellness
- The physical aspect of the human being involves much more than just the portion we can see on the outside.
- Being healthy isn’t all about standing in front of a mirror and posing – although better self esteem is a healthy side effect of better physical fitness.
- Physical fitness does of course involve muscle tone and strength conditioning but also involves other factors such as sleep/recovery, internal organs as well as mental, emotional and spiritual aspects.
Latest posts by Chris Austin (see all)
- How To Tap Into The Ultimate Creative Genius Mindset - August 9, 2019
- Modern Physical Fitness Tactics That Improve Your Well-Being - May 18, 2019
- Spiritual Wellness In The Modern World – How To Improve Your Spirituality - January 10, 2019