What Is Spirituality?
Spirituality is the opposite of being preoccupied with the mundane and trivial aspects of society and modern life.
It is about not sweating the small stuff, being beyond the drama of the day, and living more from the present moment. Spirituality is not about being affiliated to a specific religion either.
In fact ALL religions are inherently spiritual so you could be of any religious affiliation and improve your spirituality (or have no religious affiliation at all).
A spiritually healthy person will typically be more content, in general, because they are content without needing or wanting as much ‘stuff’ to feel content.
They have a belief in and feel a connection to a source of power that is greater than themselves, as in a God/Godess, The Great Spirit or Universe.
This gives them a greater sense of peace, purpose and ultimately ‘oneness’ that transcends materialistic desires.
Aspects Of Spiritual Health
Highly spiritual people are more attuned to the natural rhythms that are always around us.
Examples include sunrise/sunset, moon cycles, seasonal changes, solstice/equinoxes, and star/planetary alignments.
This is what gives them the connectedness they feel.
They also cultivate greater inner wisdom. Meaning they can ‘hear’ and feel intuition and instinct more than a person who is more guided by material and egotistical desires.
Spiritually healthy people live more in accordance with universal principles such as the law of attraction, karma, and using the ‘6th sense’.
They have better mental and emotional well-being and are more lucid, centered and feel a strong connection with nature.
How To Improve Spiritually
An important part of the recipe to improve spirituality is a desire and intention to be more spiritually connected.
Always remember that awakening and growing spiritually is a marathon and not a sprint.
It is important to note that spiritual growth can be uncomfortable at times. This is a sure sign, however that ‘things’ are moving in the right direction.
This is all part of the spiritual growth process. It involves the casting off of that which no longer serves you to uncover a newly evolved you!
Connect With A Spiritual Advisor
It will generally be necessary to seek and interact with at least one, if not several different spiritual advisors and/or teachers.
These are people who have been through what you are going through. They can help immensely to point you in the right direction of your spiritual path.
Most spiritual advisors and teachers have made it their lifelong missions to provide knowledge and direction to those working to improve spiritual development.
Spiritual Disciplines And Practices
Ultimately the key to improving spiritually lies in your willingness to improve in the various aspects that encompass spiritual well-being.
It is not all that difficult to improve because spirituality is more or less an innate aspect of being human.
It begins by turning your focus inward periodically and ‘checking in’ with the spiritual aspect of yourself.
Remember that making spiritual progress can be very rewarding and give you amazing ‘A-HA’ type epiphanies.
A basic framework for a spiritual practice will involve the following:
- Letting go of some personal control in order to allow for a greater force to guide you.
- Cultivating greater instinct and intuition.
- Recognizing that happiness and satisfaction are an inside job.
- Unplugging from the digital world periodically.
- Saying more prayers and learning to use mantras.
- Practicing more compassion and gratitude.
- Minimizing materialism.
- Getting out in nature more often.
- Having more faith.
Spiritual Practices Pie Chart:
Honoring spiritual disciplines through these practices will create awakening, transcendent transformation and ultimately an ascension of the soul.
Examples Of Spiritual Wellness
A re-understanding of why you are here and your life’s purpose will begin to emerge as a result of pursuing spiritual wellness.
Some additional personality and behavioral traits that develop through living by spiritual principles are outlined in this word cloud:
When it comes to enhancing your spirituality there are many activities to consider. With a little research you can find a whole universe of possibilities.
Some of the most effective spiritual activities include the following:
- If you are newer to the spiritual journey you may want to begin by reading a book and/or watch videos.
- There are many classes, tutorials and programs you can find online to aid you on your spiritual quest.
- Locate a spiritual healer in your area or online. Research their credentials and reviews then book an appointment.
- Connect with like-minded people and build community around your spiritual growth. Friendships made along the spiritual journey can become like family.
As the main theme from the famous book “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho suggests, you have everything you have ever searched for inside yourself. And according to renowned spiritual teacher Thich Nhat Hanh, “at any moment, you have a choice, that either leads you closer to your spirit or further away from it.” So when you decide to continue to uncover your truth within then you remain on the journey of the spirit and on the path to spiritual fulfillment!
- How To Protect Your Well-Being From ‘Always On’ Modern Technology (EMFs) - January 25, 2021
- 9 Pillars Of The Modern Holistic Health Approach (Complete Guide) - January 15, 2021
- Best Online Yoga Classes, Apps And Accessories For Home Yoga - March 29, 2020