What Is Emotional Well-Being?
Emotional well-being is defined as “being confident and positive and able to cope with the ups and downs of life.”, according to the National Institutes Of Health.
It is closely related to mental health with both having a profound impact on one’s overall physical wellness. (source)
Historically, emotional wellness has been somewhat overlooked, however, in more recent times its importance has been documented in many scientific studies. (source)
Psychologists correlate the measure of stress, anxiety and coping abilities as one of the most important aspects of overall well-being. (source)
Aspects Of Emotional Wellness
Emotions tend to be tough to define, coming and going and being forgotten over time.
Studies have shown negative emotions such as stress, anxiety and depression are the most common precursors to disease. (source)
Here are some common signs that your emotions are in order:
- You treat others how you would like to be treated
- You have a positive self-perception
- You are easy to get along with
- You feel gratitude regularly
- You recognize what type of emotional state you are in
Warning Signs Of Emotional Distress
Individuals having a ‘rough time’ emotionally will usually display one or more of the following characteristics:
- Sudden personality changes
- Angry, agitated and mood swings
- Wanting to be isolated
- Not taking care of yourself properly
- Feeling overwhelmed, hopeless and sad
4 Natural Techniques For Stress, Anxiety And Depression
If your are suffering emotionally it is very important to your overall well-being to take steps to feel better.
The following 4 emotional wellness techniques have scientific evidence supporting their effectiveness and are natural and non-invasive:
What Is Aromatherapy And How Does It Work?
Aromatherapy is the practice of using your sense of smell for health and wellness benefits. It is the intentional inducement of positive aromas for the purpose of creating positive results for emotional well-being.
Aromatherapy involves the inhalation of fragrant scents that are most commonly derived from essential oils. Inhaled essential oil fumes affect the body through several systems and pathways.
First off, once inhaled, essential oil molecules encounter the body’s olfactory system which includes all organs relating to the sense of smell.
These scented molecules are then carried to the lungs where they interact with the respiratory system.
When the essential oil molecules pass through the olfactory system and onto the respiratory system they begin to influence what is known as the limbic system. This system is commonly referred to as the ’emotional brain’.
The limbic system is directly connected to the parts of the brain that control heart rate and blood pressure and therefore your stress levels and hormonal balance.
The relationships between the olfactory (smell), respiratory (breathing) and limbic (emotional) systems helps explain why aromatherapy fragrances trigger psychological and physiological responses.
Knowing this, we can better understand how smelling essential oil scents can have some very profound effects on overall well-being and especially emotional responses.
Aromatherapy With Essential Oils And Diffusers
Essential oils are aromatic liquids derived from plants, flowers, fruits and/or trees.
They are reported to have the ability to improve mood and illicit the relaxation response. (source)
Essential oils are typically dabbed onto the body when used as a topical ointment.
When absorbed into the bloodstream through the skin the essential oils have positive effects on physical, mental and emotional well-being.
The following is a list of special points on the body that allow for easy absorption and greatest benefits of essential oils:
- Inside Of Wrist
- Crown of head
- Middle Of Fore Head
- Behind Ears
- On The Temples
- Back Of The Neck
- Soles Of The Feet
Essential Oil Disclaimer: It is important to follow any precautions outlined by the manufacturer of an essential oil. Consult with a trained professional in the essential oil field if you are unsure about how to use essential oils.
The use of essential oils and a diffuser is also a common technique. It involves placing drops of essential oils into the diffuser which evaporates and disperses the fragrance into the air.
Inhalation can be the most direct method of delivery for the healing components of essential oils.
Through the nasal and lung passages the essential oil molecules have direct access to the brain and can go straight to work on the systems that moderate the body.
Some of the best essential oils to diffuse for anxiety, stress and general displeasure include the following:
- Roman Chamomile
- Clary Sage
- Ylang Ylang
Vida Essentials Diffusers
Vida Essentials offers high quality, whisper-quiet essential oil diffusers for home and office made from natural wood with a large water tank and 2 mist settings.
Benefits Of Aromatherapy
As already outlined in the information above, essential oil aromatherapy affects hormonal responses which help to alleviate negative emotions such as stress, anxiety and general displeasure.
Apart from relieving negative emotions, aromatherapy can also provide disinfection and decongestant benefits.
This is especially effective within the respiratory system including the sinuses, throat and lungs whereby antibacterial and antiviral properties of certain oils help relieve symptoms caused by infections and allergies.
In review here is a list of some of the top benefits associated with essential oil diffusing:
- Stress Relief
- Improved Mood
- Better Memory And Recall (Good For Studying)
- Increased Energy
- Healing and Recovery
- Alleviate Headaches
- Rest And Relaxation
- Enhanced Immune System
- Alleviate Insomnia
Best Essential Oils For Aromatherapy
- Essential oils have become a multi-billion dollar industry in the modern world with very high competition.
- This is good news for the consumer because it has made manufacturers up their game greatly in order to stand out from the competition.
- To determine brand quality it is important to know where ingredients are sourced, cultivated and harvested.
- Essential oil brands can also vary based on the distillation process and purity.
- The highest quality oils are made without bases, additives or fillers.
- Always look for essential oils that are either therapeutic grade or 100% organic with no ‘carrier oils’.
Twig And Petal Essential Oils
Twig And Petal essential oils are hand-crafted in small batches to deliver the most powerful wellness and healing benefits. They are committed to going beyond organic as they source plants to make their oils from all over the world selected according to ideal growing and harvesting conditions.
2. Sleep Trackers
How Do Sleep Trackers Work And What Do They Measure?
A good quality sleep tracker monitors a variety of sleep information that can be invaluable for improving your overall health and wellness.
In the past, options for assessing your sleep were somewhat limited. Short of taking video of yourself sleeping and recording it into a sleep diary, the only way to accurately assess your sleep would have been to submit to an elaborate sleep study.
Today many personal sleep tracking devices are available and are great tools for improving and fine tuning your slumber patterns.
They can also help you to determine if further more elaborate testing is warranted for identifying bigger sleep issues such as sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome or chronic insomnia.
A typical sleep tracker is a device worn around the wrist or in the form of a bio-sensing monitor placed under your mattress that tracks information while you’re sleeping.
Most sleep trackers incorporate an app where you can access the information collected via smartphone, tablet or laptop.
This information will include insights into duration of sleep and important sleep cycles such as deep sleep, rem, light sleep or awake.
A common discovery through use of a sleep tracker is learning you are not getting enough sleep or the right type of sleep.
Crucial sleep cycles such as rem and deep sleep correlate to mental and emotional recovery and well-being.
It is an invaluable tool for alerting other possible sleep deficiencies as well.
Sleep Tracker Disclaimer: A sleep tracker can give you the necessary knowledge about your sleep patterns to determine if you need more help from natural sleep aids, sleep supplements or sleep remedies.
A sleep tracker does not take the place of more elaborate sleep testing for analyzing serious sleep disorders. Always consult a physician to determine if a full-scale sleep study is necessary for you.
A sleep study analysis involves sleeping in a testing facility for a night or two and will be of considerably more financial cost than a tracker.
Why Sleeping Well Is So Important
- Sleep is often overlooked yet is one of the most essential aspects of mental and emotional well being.
- Unfortunately, a lack of good quality sleep has been declared a national epidemic by healthcare officials.
- Nearly 75% of all people say they suffer from anxiety, stress and depression caused by a lack of sleep.
- Some other common emotional and mental wellness issues caused by poor sleep include anger, grief and worry.
- People who suffer from a lack of sleep are also more likely to have chronic health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
- When you don’t get enough sleep your thinking and memory become cloudy and your ability to learn new information drops significantly.
- Sleep-deprived brains have been linked to making more mistakes in general and increased workplace accidents.
- If you feel you actually get enough hours of sleep per night yet you still experience various sleep issues then you may be suffering from interrupted sleep, lack of deep sleep or a sleep disorder.
- A sleep tracker is a great place to begin to uncover the clues as to if you are getting enough of the super recharging deep sleep cycles that ward off these chronic sleep issues.
Sleep Wellness Benefits
As you can see, sleep isn’t something to be written off or discounted as being unimportant.
Its importance goes way beyond just something you do mindlessly every night.
Good, restful, peaceful sleep is a key part of a healthy lifestyle that benefits many aspects of your mind, body and spirit.
Putting a focus on sleeping for wellness with the aid of a sleep tracker can cultivate the following benefits:
- A healthier immune system
- Weight management
- Lowered disease risk
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Have a better mood upon waking up and throughout the day
- More mental clarity
- Better performance at work and/or school
- Have a friendlier disposition
- Better memory recall
- Fight inflammation
- Have more creativity
- Have fewer accidents and make fewer mistakes
- Relieve depression symptoms
- Lower blood pressure
- Better emotional well-being
What Are The Best Sleep Trackers (Non-Wearable)
- Sleep tracking devices have made it possible to get some invaluable insights on why you still feel tired after a night of sleep.
- Using one will help you to embark on the journey of exploring your sleep habits.
- It’s one of the easiest yet most impactful things you can do for your health and wellness.
Fitness tracking wearables such as the Apple Watch or Fitbit can track basic sleep information for you, however, we recommend the following non-wearable devices that focus solely on sleep tracking and are installed under your mattress to give the best results and overall benefits:
Withings/Nokia Sleep Tracking Pad
- Installed Under The Mattress
- Sleep Cycle Analysis
- Sleep Score
- Heart Rate Tracking
- Snore Detection
- Smart Home Compatible
Beautyrest Sleep Monitor
- Powered By AI
- Installed Under Mattress
- Sleep Cycle Data
- Sleep Coaching
- Can Monitor (2) Sleepers
- Smart Home Compatible
3. Weighted Blankets
What Are Weighted Blankets And How Do They Work?
As the name implies a weighted blanket has an inner pocket that has been made heavier with sand-like beads to evenly distribute the weight throughout.
This creates a cradling and warming effect likened to a giant hug and therefore used as a calming tool for stress, anxiety and insomnia.
The weighted blanket technique is 100% natural and non-invasive and has proven scientific evidence of effectiveness.
Weighted blankets work by harnessing the power of Deep Pressure Touch Stimulation (DPTS) to help you feel comforted and calm.
The DPTS from a weighted blanket creates benefits similar to massage therapy in that it helps reduce stiffness in muscles and joints and soothes pain in the body.
The weight of the blanket activates proprioceptive input to the brain which helps to release melatonin and serotonin.
These are naturally occurring and very calming chemicals to the body.
By naturally increasing your melatonin and serotonin levels while also reducing cortisol stress hormones you can be more attentive and productive throughout your day.
Weighted blankets help to put a busy mind at ease and boost your mood, allowing for restful relaxation and thus…more energy.
- An Unfortunate Fact: More than ever before people of all ages are suffering from anxiety and stress overload.
- Overstimulation of our brains from always on digital and social media are major contributors to this huge and alarming trend throughout society.
- When too many thoughts and fears seem to take over, the deep pressure touch stimulation of a weighted blanket induces feelings of stability and eases body tension caused by the enormous amount of stress factors we face everyday.
Weighted blankets encourage your body and mind to rest fully and relax naturally without drugs or pharmaceuticals.
- Weighted blankets also create a sensation known as ‘grounding’. Grounding reduces the production of cortisol and triggers the release of good-mood hormones that calm the nervous system and make us feel more relaxed.
- When you need to feel more secure and at peace in this modern hectic world, a weighted blanket is an effective way to naturally create a warm feeling of safety and serenity.
How To Use A Weighted Blanket
Weighted blankets can be used at night to aid in better sleep or anytime you desire to relax during the day.
A weighted blanket should be customized to the individual user.
Adults will typically reach optimal comfort under a blanket that weighs about 10% of their own body weight.
For example a 150 lbs. person should have a blanket weighing approximately 15 lbs.
Although the typical benchmark is 10% of total body weight it is not a completely rigid standard so it can vary depending on personal preference.
Most models are available in sizes that match common mattress dimensions such as King, Queen and Twin.
The cover of a weighted blanket is similar to a standard blanket in that it is made from natural fibers, synthetic fabrics, or fabric blends that incorporate both.
Weighted blankets made from natural fibers like cotton are more breathable so they tend to be a little cooler.
Synthetics like polyester that are less breathable can be much warmer. So fabric choice also depends on your personal preference.
The outer shell of most weighted blankets are machine washable, but dry cleaning may be recommended as well.
Mosaic Weighted Blankets
Mosaic Weighted Blankets help you significantly improve the quality of your sleep while reducing stress and anxiety. Their custom blankets are hand-made and filled with hypoallergenic pellets that are equally distributed throughout for an even weight distribution. Blankets are made from your choice of cotton, microfiber or a ‘CoolMax’ blend and ethically manufactured in Austin, TX.
Weighted Blanket Precautions:
When used properly weighted blankets are extremely safe, harmless and have no known side effects. However, always follow the manufacturers’ guidelines and be aware of the following precautions:
- Weighted blankets are not recommended for children under the age of 8.
- Only provide a weighted blanket to children over the age of 8 who are not bothered by the weight.
- Women going through menopause and experience hot flashes or other issues that cause problems with temperature regulation should use caution when using a weighted blanket.
- People who have issues with respiration and/or circulation should consult a healthcare provider before using a weighted blanket.
- A weighted blanket may cause issues for someone with claustrophobia or other fears associated with being trapped or stuck.
- Weighted blankets should never be too heavy to be removed by yourself.
- Always check with a licensed therapist or healthcare professional if you are unsure about whether it is safe for you to use a weighted blanket.
4. Healing Music
What Is Healing Music?
Healing music is a combination of sound healing vibrations and frequencies that are incorporated into musical notes with the intention of creating healing benefits.
Music has historically been known as a powerful medium that can evoke an entire array of human responses.
In this sense, however, we are speaking of music as a technique to improve physical, mental and emotional well being.
So we are talking about more than just listening to relaxing music here. Music healing incorporates aspects of ‘sound healing’ whereby special tones and vibrations are used.
It is considerably more powerful because at the same time as you are listening to beautiful music you are also benefiting from sound healing frequencies.
We already know that listening to beautiful music has a way of stirring the soul.
However, when you add in sound healing frequencies to the music something even more magical happens.
This type of ‘healing music’ induces responses to relax, inspire, calm, and uplift the spirit, helping you let go of stress, anxiety, depression, anger or other unwanted emotions.
How Does Healing With Music Work?
Quantum physics and ancient healing knowledge tells us that we are a field of cellular energy at our core.
This cellular energy resonates with harmonics ranging from 20-2000 Hz that are matched with sound healing frequencies.
At the same time various musical elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and tempo stimulate your emotional response. When the two come together in musical form you have music healing.
Music is quite powerful and strongly tied to our physical and emotional responses while sound healing frequencies directly vibrate the body’s cellular energy.
This is how healing music literally reworks and rewires your energy field to create positive physical, mental and emotional outcomes.
It can dissolve ‘energetic blocks’ that are stored in your biofield which can be lingering outside of your consciousness.
By exposing yourself to these healing frequencies, you can easily unlock those stored blockages and allow for the free flow of your body’s energy.
Sound and vibration play a fundamental role in music healing by affecting physical, mental and spiritual levels rooted deep in your energetic cellular core.
Healing music uses specific frequencies to bring harmony and balance to your energetic level that will manifest in the physical body.
Benefits Of Healing Music
Healing music is used for many different issues including mental, emotional and behavioral. It has been shown to help treat depression, stress, anxiety and chronic pain.
Research suggests that the brain responds to music almost as if it were medicine.
Humanity is rediscovering the secrets of vibrational resonance and its healing impact on health.
Change your vibration and you can change your physical manifestation. Our vibration determines our mental, physical and emotional health.
Healing frequencies can bring balance, relaxation and wholeness to your entire being. Ancient civilizations understood the powerful benefit of sound and vibration.
They composed music based on perfect mathematical proportions because they knew the healing power this held.
Healing music employs specific harmonic tones that are the resonance of the Universe. You can tune yourself to this perfect rhythm by opening your ears to healing music.
The following is a list of benefits that has been supported by science:
- improve bodily functions
- synchronize motor skills
- stimulate the mind
- improve cognition
- sharpen memory
- increase focus
- left/right brain hemisphere balancing
- reducing heart rate
- reduce blood pressure
- reduce cortisol levels
- increase positive thinking
- can reduce opioid dependency
- reduce agitation
- improve physical coordination
- relieve stress
- raise your energy
- expand creativity
- elevate consciousness
- improve memory
- unlock your potential
Wholetones Healing Frequency Music Project
Wholetones utilizes 7 powerful healing frequencies in their therapeutic musical tracks that offer a wide range of benefits for emotional well-being. You can choose between a digital download or a physical CD for benefits such as stress relief, better sleep, more energy and even to calm your pet.
Stress, anxiety and depression can have some very serious consequences when it comes to your overall well-being. By taking the necessary steps to understand and alleviate common emotional issues you will inspire self-care, relaxation, stress reduction and the development of inner strength. It is important to be attentive to both positive and negative feelings and be able to understand how to handle these emotions for a greater sense of emotional wellness.
- Best Online Yoga Classes, Apps And Accessories For Home Yoga - March 29, 2020
- 9 Best Natural Immune System Boosters - March 14, 2020
- Exciting New Research Favors Mediterranean Plant-Based Diets - February 26, 2020